When the people of Barcaldine were asked what type of memorial would be appropriate to salute the 292 local men who served during WWI, their choice ran counter to the popular soldier statue trend: they opted for a clock.
Governor Sir Matthew Nathan unveiled the 3.6 metre war memorial clock in Ash Street on 21 May 1924.
The marble clock sits on top of pedestal with recessed plates bearing the names of all who served from the district. The 38 who died are listed on the front panel.
The ornate workmanship including carved laurel wreaths surrounding the four clock faces was carried out by AL Petrie and Son of Toowong.
Storm damage to the memorial led to the clock’s replacement in 1992.