With a population of less than 250, Morven is thought to be named after a mountain and town of the same name in Scotland. Captain T.J. Sadleir and his wife arrived in the area in the 1860s and camped on a deep waterhole of nearby Hamburg Creek. This waterhole was later to become Morven’s water supply and provided irrigation for a large Chinese market garden. It now only fills after rain storms.
A hotel was established near the waterhole to service the Cobb and Co. Coach route. Passengers, drovers and bullock drivers all took advantage of the relative comfort of the Hotel. By 1887, Morven had three more hotels, a railway station and school.
As the town grew the waterhole could not supply enough water, and bores were sunk into the Great Artesian Basin.
Today, Sadleir’s Waterhole and Hamburg Creek are a travellers oasis. The large red river gums provide shade and make it a great place for visitors to relax and wash away the cares of long day’s travel.