Qantas Founders Museum in Longreach is an award winning museum and cultural display that tells the story of Australia’s biggest airline through interactive displays and exhibits, replica aircraft and a huge collection of genuine artefacts.
Whether you’re passionate about planes, have a hankering for history or are just looking for an Aussie experience like no other, here are 10 reasons to take a flying visit to Longreach!
- Meet and learn about the people who started Qantas Airways. True pioneers of their time, with incredible vision for the future and a dedicated Aussie spirit to make it happen.
- Explore the 1922 National Heritage Listed Qantas Hangar, where Qantas Airways operated from between 1922 and 1930.
The Qantas hangar.
- Take part in an hour and a half Jet Tour through the Boeing 747 and 707 aircraft. This tour explains the history of the aircraft and shows off the bits of the aircraft you don’t get to see as a passenger, like the Black Box and cockpit.
- Outback Queensland, you’ve got mail! Learn how Qantas provided the first Queensland airmail service on 2nd November 1922, through the Western Queensland towns of Charleville, Blackall, Tambo, Longreach, Winton, McKinlay and Cloncurry.
A look into the main exhibition hall.
- Get your adrenaline pumping when you fly in the world’s only Bristol Fighter and F – 35 Lightning Jet Simulators.
- It all started here. See the first Jet aircraft Qantas ever owned, the Boeing 707 which was converted into a private Jet before finding its home at Qantas Founders Museum.
Jump in a simulator and experience flight like a pilot from the past.
- Stealth missions. Learn about the top secret “Double Sunrise” flight Qantas flew in the Second World War.
- Discover the passenger “comforts” of 1920s flying, by experiencing the cabins of the DH – 50 and the DH -61.
- Walk on the Wing of a Boeing 747. (You must be over 12 years old)
The wing walk is extra 45-60 minute personalised tour and is truly one of a kind.
- Qantas Founders Museum is a not for profit organisation, it is not owned or operated by Qantas Airways. It is a project of passion and they can’t wait to share it with you!
Live the story of Qantas when you Live Australia’s story in Outback Queensland. Qantas Founders Museum, open 9am to 5pm daily (except Christmas Day and Boxing Day).
Grab a Big 3 Pass to see the top three Longreach attractions, including Qantas Founders Museum, the Australian Stockman’s Hall of Fame and Kinnon & Co’s Cobb & Co Stagecoach Experience followed by Starlight’s Cruise Experience. Fantastic value for the whole family.
It’s an experience you wouldn’t want to miss.