Deep in the heart of wild and isolated country, Birdsville is situated between the eastern edge of the Simpson Desert, the vast gibber plains of Sturt’s Stony Desert to the south and rich Channel Country to the north.
Once a notorious place through which cattle drovers moved their stock, Birdsville is now a thriving modern community where you can enjoy a cold drink at the iconic Birdsville Hotel or back a winner at the world-renowned Birdsville Races.
Watch the sun set over Big Red, the tallest sand dune in the Simpson Desert, catch a fresh fish for dinner at Jardine’s water hole, explore the Australian Inland Mission Hospital Museum, or spend an unforgettable day with family and friends at the Birdsville billabong, where birdlife, fish, yabbies and marsupials abound. Not to mention that the town is also home to a number of local artists working in different mediums, offering their interpretations of our unique land, lifestyle and people of the Diamantina Shire. If you’ve always wanted to visit this iconic destination, now is the time to tick Birdsville off your bucket list!
Abundant with birdlife, fish, yabbies and many small marsupials, Pelican Point is located just outside of the town in a branch of the Diamantina River. This special location is particularly beautiful at sunset and can be enjoyed as a relaxing spot to cool off with family and friends.
Attractions / Things to do:
- Australian Inland Mission Hospital
- Big Red, the tallest sand dune in the Simpson Desert
- Birdsville Star Show (View the wonders of the universe through an incredibly high-powered telescope!)
- Burke & Wills Tree
- Deon’s Lookout
- Diamantina Crossing
- Jardine’s Waterhole for fishing
- Munga-Thirri National Park (formerly the Simpson Desert National Park)
- Pelican Point
- Poeppel Corner
- Tours of sunsets and Big Red with Desert Edge Tours
- Two Boys Dreaming cultural walk and a pontoon for canoeists
- Walking track along the billabong (accessible from the caravan park)
Major Annual Events:
- Big Red Bash
- Birdsville Bronco Branding
- Birdsville Gymkhana & Bikekhana
- Birdsville Races
- Big Red Run
Check out the full list of events on the Diamantina website here.
Our favourite Outback comedians, the Crackup Sisters outside the iconic Birdsville Hotel!
Food & Drink, Pubs & Restaurants:
Businesses & Services:
- Birdsville Fuel Service
- Birdsville Roadhouse
Suggested itineraries incorporating Birdsville:
- Birdsville & Betoota Stories (3 Days / 2 Nights)
- Birdsville Inaamincka Loop (3 Days / 2 Nights)
- Central West Outback Adventure Drive (Approx. 4 Days)
- Corner Country Stories Drive (Approx. 4 Days)
- Far West Adventure Drive (Approx. 10 Days)
- Outback Queensland Camel Festival Trail (Various)
- Simpson Desert Racing Carnival (Up to 15 Days)
- Warrego Way (Approx. 12 Days)
Want to make Birdsville a part of your Outback Queensland story? Stay a while as you roadtrip the Warrego Way!
Visitor Information Centre
Wirrari Visitor Information Centre
Phone: (07) 4656 3300
Address: 29 Burt Street, Birdsville QLD 4482
For more information on Birdsville, check out the Diamantina Tourism Website: http://www.thediamantina.com.au/birdsville