Enjoy the beauty of an Outback adventure without driving. Travelling to Outback Queensland is easier and more comfortable than ever before with Queensland Rail Travel.
Offering a range of travel options to the outback, the Queensland Rail network travel from Brisbane to Cairns and West to Charleville, Longreach and Mount Isa. Choose your own journey with access to a range of outback destinations with these rail services.
- Route: Brisbane to Longreach
- Distance: 1325km
- Departs Brisbane: Tuesdays at 6:10pm and Saturdays at 1:55pm
- Departs Longreach: Mondays & Thursdays from 10:00am
- Onboard Facilities: Servery, luggage, travel options, toilets, drink fountain and showers
- Inclusions: Tablets, tuckerbox restaurant, bed linen, Amenities pack and power adapter
This fascinating journey between Brisbane and Longreach offers a unique insight into the history and culture of early Australia, with the captivating onboard commentary. Soak in the social atmosphere as you enjoy hearty Australian fare in the dining area, or a relaxing drink in the lounge car. From the comfort of your seat or sleeper you’ll wonder at the ever changing landscape, as the train moves from the coast into the heart of the Outback. With its rugged mountains, wide open plains and historic towns, this scenic journey will linger in your memory. On its journey west, Spirit of the Outback passes through the heritage towns of Blackwater, Emerald and Barcaldine before arriving in Longreach. If you’re looking for a long haul Outback Queensland experience, packaging your rail journey can be arranged with our mates at Outback Aussie Tours!
- Route: Brisbane to Charleville
- Distance: 777kms
- Departs Brisbane: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7:15pm
- Departs Charleville: Wednesdays and Fridays from 6:15pm
- Onboard Facilities: Food & Beverage, luggage, economy seats, toilets, drink fountain and showers
- Inclusions: Lounge, self service and fold down tray tables
Discover the pioneering spirit of Outback Queensland with a journey onboard The Westlander. This 777km scenic journey from Brisbane travels across the great dividing range and through the rich farmlands of the Darling Downs to Charleville. You’ll enjoy a comfortable journey, where you can sit back, unwind and watch the striking scenery pass you by. Enjoy a range of light refreshments including cold takeaway snacks, drinks and confectionery available. Sit back and relax in comfortable seats, head to the lounge for a friendly chat or a change of scene as you journey further into the outback. An array of Outback experiences await you at your destination, including stargazing at the Cosmos Centre, the Charleville Bilby Experience and tours through Corones Hotel.
Why not jump on a bus service and explore even more of the Outback with a visit to the nearby towns of Cunnamulla and Quilpie! The Eromanga Natural History Museum is an exceptional Outback Queensland dinosaur museum that cannot be missed.
- Route: Townsville to Mount Isa
- Distance: 977kms
- Departs Townsville: Wednesdays and Saturdays at 12:40pm
- Departs Mount Isa: Sundays and Thursdays at 1:30pm
- Onboard Facilities: Food & beverage, luggage, economy seats, toilets, drink fountain and showers
- Inclusions: Tablets, lounge, self service and fold down tray
Experience the heritage and natural treasures of north Queensland’s rugged yet beautiful inland when you board the great Inlander. This historic journey from the tropical city of Townsville to the mining centre of Mount Isa takes you past Charters Towers and through the Great Dividing Range before delivering you into the heart of Australia. Enjoy a range of light refreshments including cold takeaway snacks, drinks and confectionery available. Sit back an relax in comfortable seats, head to the lounge for a friendly chat or a change of scene as you journey further into the outback. Upon arrival in Mount Isa the adventure continues with a range of attractions at the Visitor Information Centre, that includes including prehistoric exhibits of the Riversleigh Fossil Centre, Hard Times Underground Mine Tour and the great Isa Experience.
- Route: Normanton to Croydon
- Distance: 152kms
- Departs Normanton: 8:30am
- Departs Croydon: 7:30am
The Gulflander is not only a lifetime rail experience but a working tribute to the Gulf of Carpentaria’s early pioneers. Also known as the ‘Tin Hare’, this legendary rail motor is one of the last great characters of the rail world and is a nostalgic rail journey steeped in pioneering history and heritage. From wetlands and grasslands to arid Savannah territory, the Gulflander travels through countryside that most people will never see.
- Route: Cairns to Forsayth
- Distance: Various (depends on tour route)
- Check out the tours: Click here
- Phone: 1800 793 848
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The SavannahLander invites travellers to be a part of one of the great rail journeys in Australia. This unique outback rail experience departs Cairns weekly, winding it way through the wet tropics area of the Kuranda range and out through the Savannah country to Forsayth. It is the perfect train to take if you are wishing to experience the natural beauty of the the award winning Cobbold Gorge.